Sunday, March 3, 2013

Antiques in the Afternoon

It's no secret. I love chocolate. I love coffee. So it should come as absolutely no surprise that a cafe mocha ranks high on my list of favorite things.

Saturday afternoon, I had the privilege of sipping a steamy cafe mocha while conversing with my husband and some friends around a little fireside table at a cozy cafe. It was the first time any of us had been there, but if I have anything to do about it, it will most definitely NOT be the last.

From the moment I started up the steps of the old brick building (circa 1854) I had a feeling I was going to love this little cafe within. It didn't disappoint. If I lived just a few miles closer I am fairly certain I'd be a "regular" there.

Photo courtesy of www.montourcoffeehouse.com

The delicious caffeinated beverage and treats, the friendship, the "homey" atmosphere, the cheerful owner...the entire experience just warmed my heart on that cold winter afternoon. As we exited the cafe, small snowflakes sprinkled about as the sound of rushing water drew my attention to the nearby Chequaga Falls.

We left the cafe and began the trek home. Just blocks from our house, my husband veered off and parked in Historic Hanover Square and announced we were headed to the antique shop because he hadn't been there in a while. I've never been much of an antique fan. Most items fall at one extreme end of the spectrum or the other, in my opinion. Either I deem them stinky, old junk or I fall in love only to find that the piece is COMPLETELY out of our league as far as budget or household space is concerned and it's just depressing.

But yesterday I was enjoying a little free time in the company of my hubby and decided to go along with his plan. So I hopped out of the car and we crossed the street.

We entered the shop and I was still in "smile and play along" mode. But then I spotted it. I fell in love...

Storage Trunk Lid with Vintage Letterhead, Postage, etc.
I inquired about the price only to find that it could indeed be mine if I desired. I spent the rest of our time there in the shop determined that I wasn't leaving without it.


And I didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment