Sunday, July 27, 2008

Dandelion

This summer I've really taken note of and gained an appreciation for dandelions. For some (including myself until recently), they are often thought of as a pesky weed that can overtake the lawn. But lately I can't help stopping to look at them and see their real beauty!

The bright yellow ones just seem so cheery (especially when I recall my fondest memories of great big hand-picked bouquets of them from my sweet little daughter)...

But I've been quite attracted to the ones that've gone to seed...they seem so significant and represent so much...

My inner child's thoughts often wander to all the wishes I've made over the years or could make as I gently blow the seeds away and watch them drift through the air... My spiritual nature envisions spreading the seeds of faith and watching the "new life" that results... My motherly instinct can't help but recall and ponder the joy of new life as it comes through a newborn baby...And just like the seeds are blown, land in various locations and then grow and bloom, so too can we bloom where we're planted when the things of this world seem to "blow us away" and leave us in new, unchartered territory.

Additionally, I am learning how beneficial and refreshing it can be to take the time out to notice the little things around us and find the hidden beauty in things that may at first glance seem to be unattractive and undesirable.

What "hidden treasures" have you noticed lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment