Thursday, January 23, 2014

Thirteen to Thirteen: Day 5

Lesson #5:

Embrace the moment!

One of the MANY things I love about Emily is her ability to embrace each and every situation, take time out to soak it all in and live life to the fullest. 

One occasion in particular comes to mind...it was autumn and our calendar was full. Each time we left home we'd drive past the park at the end of the street and she'd point out the ever growing collection of fallen leaves blanketing the grass.

I knew what she was implying...she was envisioning the biggest, best "LEAF DAY" ever. She would frequently gather a handful of leaves from our yard, throw them in the air and cheefully exclaim, "LEAF DAY!"

We were busy, though. Who had time to walk to the park for the sole purpose of tossing some leaves in the air? Certainly not me!

But one afternoon, I brought her home from school and couldn't shake the stirring I felt to make that walk. I'm so glad I did. I will never forget that afternoon - the joy on her face as the leaves cascaded around her and the squeals of delight as she jumped into piles of crisp, crunchy autumn.



Had I not listened to that little internal prompting, I would've missed the moment. Especially since the very next morning, I drove by and watched as the village crew mulched the leaves into oblivion.

I encourage you to take time out to truly enjoy the moments in life. The chance may never come again. Make beautiful memories not regrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment