Thursday, January 30, 2014

Thirteen to Thirteen: Day 12

Lesson #12: Hire a "Manny"

From the day we told him we were expecting, I knew my dad was in love with his grandchild. When it came time for her arrival I think he would have beat Ben and I to the hospital if my mom had let him!

From the first time he met her, he called her his "Lovebug" and they've shared a special bond since the beginning.



Emily is truly blessed to have both sets of her grandparents nearby and involved in her life. But I'm choosing to write about "Poppy" tonight.

We had always planned that I would be a stay at home mom, but, 6 months in, circumstances were such that I was headed back to work part time. Deep down I knew that I was doing the right thing by financially contributing to our little family and, I'll admit that adult conversation helped keep my sanity, but I was a bit devastated to be missing out on that time with my precious girl and the thought of having to entrust her care to someone else.

So, what was a mom to do? Hire a "Manny". Yes...I hired my dad, "Poppy" to care for Emily while I worked. What a blessing that was!

Every day was an adventure: they read countless books pouring over the details on each page, watched education programs (I vividly recall my lesson on nocturnal animals-taught by my toddler), played dolls and hosted tea parties. I'll never forget the day that I got a text with a photo of his turquoise finger nails he had let her paint and his neck wrapped in a pink feather boa!

I am forever grateful for the way that he cared for her in my absence and for everything that all the grandparents have done to help shape Emily into the fine young lady she has become!








No comments:

Post a Comment